Despite the mutual dislike, we all have, at some point, experienced bad breath and that unpleasant taste and smell in our mouths. Well, there’s no need to feel embarrassed or judge others who have it. Bad breath, medically known as halitosis, can happen to anybody, especially in the mornings.
Here are 6 Home Remedies for Bad Breath:
- Brush twice a day
- Use a mouthwash
- Floss well
- Keep the mouth moist
- Chew gum
- Adopt healthy habits
Numerous factors contribute to bad breath, most of which are related to your lifestyle. Eating certain foods such as spices, onions, and garlic, late at night can lead to halitosis. Not eating at regular intervals can also contribute to it because staying hungry for too long reduces saliva production in the mouth and causes dryness and stinky breath.
However, one of the key contributors to halitosis is lack of proper oral care hygiene. Brushing your teeth poorly or not flossing enough can lead to the accumulation of leftover food particles between the teeth, tongue, and also along the gum line. The bacteria present in the mouth then interact with these particles, break them down and lead to the formation of plaque, a sticky white coating on the surface of the teeth. And plaque is responsible, not just for bad breath but many other dental problems.
But the good thing is, with some simple changes in lifestyle, DIY remedies and dental health care routine, you can cure bad breath. Let us explore in-depth some home remedies for smelly mouth that you can easily try to fight bad breath.
Home remedies for bad breath
If you are looking for some home remedies for bad smell from mouth, you have come to the right place. These tips can help you combat bad breath and keep it at bay -
- Brushing your teeth in the morning is good, but is it enough? No! If you want healthy teeth and avoid bad breath, then you must brush your teeth at least twice a day - once in the morning and once at night before tucking yourself into bed. Brushing in the morning will help the teeth prepare themselves for the day ahead while brushing at night will ensure that the plaque and leftover food particles do not cause damage when you’re asleep.
- One of the easiest home remedies for bad smell from mouth is to use a dental-approved mouthwash. Not only will it kill the bacteria in the mouth and prevent it from interacting with the leftover food particles, but it will also leave a pleasant smell and taste in the mouth. Make it a daily practice to rinse with a mouthwash, twice a day, after brushing the teeth.
- Do not forget to floss. While it is tempting to skip this step, it is crucial to floss after brushing, especially at night. It is one of the best bad breath home remedies. Often, tiny leftover food particles and plaque can remain hidden between the recesses of the teeth and lead to tooth damage and decay. So, make sure you are generous with the floss strips and clean the teeth thoroughly, especially the out-of-reach places in the back. For best results, use plain waxed floss strips that easily slide between the teeth, reach the gums, and remove the plaque effectively.
- One of the biggest causes of bad breath is dry mouth. When saliva decreases in the mouth, it reduces the self-cleansing mechanism, and leaves the teeth and gums vulnerable to attack from the bacteria in the mouth. This can leave a bad taste and make your breath smell foul. Dry mouth can happen due to various reasons - not drinking enough water, not sipping water before going to sleep, and staying hungry for long periods. All these reasons can reduce saliva production in the mouth and lead to bad breath. So, ensuring that your mouth is moist is among the best bad breath home remedies you can try.
- Popping a piece of gum is one of the simplest bad breath home remedies. However, this does not mean that you can replace a proper oral care routine with it. It can be a helpful add-on to your dental routine. Chewing dental-approved, sugar-free gum can increase saliva production in the mouth and protect against the onslaught of bacteria. Moreover, if it is flavoured, it can leave you with a pleasant taste in the mouth and fresh breath. Plus, you can pop a gum in your mouth anytime during the day, especially when you are out and about.
- If you are a smoker, chances are, you have bad breath. Unhealthy habits such as smoking can contribute heavily to halitosis, as well as other gum diseases. So, quitting smoking is one of the best home remedies for mouth smell. You can either consult your doctor, go for a run or use nicotine patches, whenever you feel the urge to smoke or want to quit.
When to see a dentist
If you have a solid dental care routine in place and also tried these tips but the bad breath still persists, it might be time to see your dentist. Persisting halitosis can be a sign of a deeper oral or gum disease that may need urgent medical intervention.
Bad breath is not only unpleasant for the person experiencing it, but also for the people around them. Prevent halitosis with these remedies for bad breath, a proper oral health care routine and all these tips. It is imperative to remove the plaque and hidden leftover food particles to ensure that your breath always smells fresh. So, to flaunt a confident smile and make your breath smell fresh all day, use superior-quality dental products such as the soft-bristled and electric toothbrushes from Oral-B that help clean the teeth thoroughly, and make sure they get the most advanced treatment.